Info for referring Veterinarians
Thank you for entrusting Valley Farm Animal Hospital with your patient’s specialist treatment. We are a multi-disciplinary facility and accept referral cases for surgery, diagnostics, medical care, ophthalmic exams and surgery, critical care, renal dialysis, breeding and reproduction and infectious isolation hospitalisation.
How to refer a patient
All patients must be referred by a veterinary practice.
Except in the case of emergencies all referrals are seen by appointment only. Please call and make an appointment or ask your client to do so. If you would rather book directly on line please click here , our contact number is 012 991 3573.
Ensure the client knows to starve their pet on the morning of the appointment. We know many clients have far to travel so we try when possible to admit the pet on the same day for work-ups, operations etc.
Cost estimates can be given at the time of booking and we strongly advise giving clients an accurate cost estimate before making the referral. If you would like a price list please request one by email email@example.com For a more accurate estimate please contact us and we will assist you. Radiographs can be sent by What’s App to 066 302 2901 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide the client with a case history, radiographs and test results – the more information the better. If you would rather email these to the practice please use email@example.com or you can What’s App to 066 302 2901
- Dr Tim Krafft (special interest GP) take referrals of all surgical cases including cruciate repairs, fractures, spinal surgery, BOAS surgery (with specialist anesthetist) and soft tissue surgery.
- Dr Ryan Freidlein (Specialist Physician), Dr Dean De Kock (special interest GP), Dr Luzanne van der Laan (special interest GP) take referrals for a full range of medical conditions including oncology, cardiac, hormonal imbalances, gastrointestinal conditions and dermatology.
Should you wish us to provide only diagnostic services such as a CT or sonar scan we will be very happy to do so. We will still need some basic information to determine the risk of the procedure to the patient and the relevance of the procedure. Please be aware that if only a procedure is requested, ONLY the results of the procedure will be forwarded to you.
- Dr Lo-An Odayar (Specialist Ophthalmologist) is with us on Monday and Tuesday for all ophthalmic cases. She operates weekly performing extraocular and intraocular surgeries including cataract surgery / phacoemulsification.
- Dr Susan Fouché (specialist gynaecologist) takes referrals for all reproductive problems as well as breeding soundness, estrous monitoring and fresh semen AI
Anaesthesia and Pain Management
- Dr Gareth Zeiler, Specialist Anaesthetist, is on staff to support our clinicians with high risk anaesthesia and critical care cases. He offers pain management clinics with the support of other team members.
Over-night and critical care patients
Valley Farm Animal Hospital is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, and we offer a well-equipped High Care Ward. Please call us before 18:00 for overnight cases so we can prepare all the necessary accommodation and equipment. Please ensure the patient is sent with all necessary information for us to continue care and react appropriately should crises arise.
All patients will be referred back to you when treatment is completed, or for ongoing after-care, if necessary. You will be sent a detailed report on the discharge of the patient. If you do not receive a referral report, please contact us and we will remedy this as soon as possible.
Please ensure your client is aware that we require a 50% deposit on admission to the hospital and all accounts must be settled in full when the patient leaves the hospital. We accept cash, credit cards and debit cards. We have secure access to the internet for electronic transfers. For pets insured with Medipet or OnePlan and accounts in excess of R5,000 we can process direct claims and may in some circumstances not require a deposit for these pets. We have also partnered with Mediwallet for those clients that need financial assistance.