Cats are not small dogs, they have very specific nutritional and feeding requirements. Cats are obligate carnivores, therefore they need to eat animal protein.
- This is because cats need a direct source of vitamin A, which is found in animal tissue.
- They also are unable to synthesise taurine (an amino acid) so they need to get it from their diet, again this is found in animal tissue.
- Cats also require a much higher level of protein (+/-35%) than dogs (+/- 20%) because animal tissue is high in protein.
- Cats will use protein as an energy source even if there is not enough for growth and maintenance of their body.
- This can lead to problems if the cats diet is low in protein.